Monday, November 24, 2008

Giving Thanks for every Load

I apologize for the long hiatus, but I have returned just in time for Thanksgiving and I wish everyone out there a happy turkey day.

My, oh my, how things have changed since my last post. We made it through extremely high fuel prices, we made it through another Presidential election and now we are going to have to make it through a bad economic period; and each company out there should give thanks and be grateful for every bit of business they get during this time.

In a weak attempt to be optimistic, low fuel prices should help companies stay within their transportation budgets. And any RFQs by shippers should show favorable returns as transportation companies again try to retain market share through pricing.

Survival of the fittest still applies as companies tighten their belts and keep a close watch on debtors and creditors. I suspect bankruptcies will continue to thin the ranks of U.S. Corporations and I remain hopeful that we will not see a tremendous trickle down effect caused by these bankruptcies.

The Green movement seems to have lost some momentum with lower energy prices, but it isn't dead. Money is the driving force behind almost everything and as long as going green is cost prohibitive, it will have to ride in the back seat for a while.

No comments: