Wednesday, December 10, 2008

2008 year in review

As 2008 winds down I think back to the hurdles we as transportation intermediaries, 3pls, freight brokers or whatever you want to call our industry experienced. I recall the first quarter when fuel prices were climbing as freight rates were irrationally going down, which led into the second quarter where we saw even more trucking companies to go bankrupt as fuel prices continued to climb, and then somewhere around the end of the second quarter or beginning of the third quarter freight rates shot back up as truck capacity tightened and fuel continued to hit new highs. And finally the fourth quarter saw fuel level off and actually drop; and freight rates drop as fast or faster than fuel as companies battled for business.

I have been in this business for 15 years and I can say this has been the most unpredictable, unstable year I have ever seen. Through those fifteen years I saw fuel surcharges come and go. I saw the new hours of service rules go into effect and everyone say that it would do away with milkruns because of stop off requirements and on duty hours, (stop charges went up because of it, but they have since dropped back down). I experienced the craziness caused by Hurricane Katrina as oodles of trucks went to that part of the U.S. to haul high paying FEMA loads. And every now and then I have heard trucking companies complain about the lack of qualified truck drivers and how we are one day going to have an extreme shortage because all of the older experienced professional drivers are going to retire. I could go on with many more examples of adversity and changes I have seen in this industry, but time limits me.

What will 2009 hold in store for us??? I have no clue. All I can say is that 2008 was a rollercoaster ride like never before and I hope 2009 has less corkscrews in it.

But don't worry, I'll have my safety harness on just in case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there, i'm afiff from Malaysia, I gladly read your blog, veri usefull information. Hopfully we can share tigether,

visit mine:

http://truckfreightbrokers.blogspot.com/

http://googleyahoosearch.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Lets training with me, from zero to hundred million dollar, be the one of my billionare collection,sepcial invitation and join for free here:

http://tinyurl.com/6gwgxl

or visit my blog here: http://contest-dotcom-secrets.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Giám đốc đảm nhiệm Nghiên cứu CBRE tại Singapore và khu vực Đông Nam Á, Desmond Sim nhận định: “Hiện vẫn còn nhiều rào cản và hạn chế dịch vụ vận chuyển đi Bắc Kạn mà những nước trong khối ASEAN cần phải vượt qua”. trước tiên là khả năng quản lý yếu kém của vận chuyển hàng đi Thanh Hoá, nguồn cung sôi động với thể dẫn tới biến động giá thuê mặt bằng van chuyen hang ve Bac Giang.

Điều này sẽ gây trì trệ hoặc thậm chí ngăn cản việc mở mang của các nhà bán lẻ. Thứ hai là việc thiếu nguồn cần lao có tay nghề cao cũng là thách thức, với thể gây chướng ngại trong việc dịch vụ vận tải hàng hoá Hà Nội, cong ty van chuyen di Bac Ninhvan tai hang ra Cao Bangdịch vụ vận tải hàng hoá Điện Biên Phủ và mở rộng của các nhà sản xuất công nghiệp mang trị giá cao.

Thứ ba là sự chênh lệch lớn về chuyên môn cuoc van chuyen duong bo giữa những nước thành viên cũng giảm thiểu các ảnh hưởng tích cực của bắt buộc tự do hóa lao động ASEAN.

Cảm ơn bạn đa dạng nhé.